Your family and friends can be a great source of support because they care about you. But they can’t help you with diabetes unless they understand it.
You can help them by telling them what you need from them. Try some of these ideas:
- Ask them to learn about how diabetes affects your body and emotions.
- Invite them to attend your appointments or diabetes classes.
- Include them in your new healthy lifestyle.
- Share this website with them.
- Ask for help when you need it.
You want the people around you to know how to help, but it’s also okay to tell them if you don’t want their help.
We’re Here for You!
Yes, there’s a lot to learn about living well with diabetes. Getting in control might take some time.
It’s going to mean making some changes in your life, but you can start with small changes, and you don’t have to make them all at once.
And you don’t have to do it alone. The American Diabetes Association is here for you.
You can join the American Diabetes Association Community to participate in lively discussions about diabetes-related topics with others going through similar issues. You’re not alone!